Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Back on my Feet

Sickness is making the rounds, but last week I was sick...really sick! The Dr. at the E.R. said that her best guess was I had multiple things all at the same time. Let's just say I was exhausted after getting up to go the bathroom and spent almost the whole week flat on my back in bed or on the couch. Spending my days laying in bed gave me time to think (well, at least when I wasn't sleeping). I thought back to my first few years here in Germany. I was sick- a lot! I had never really had major problems with my health before coming to Germany, but I spent the first couple of years here in bed, at the Dr. or at the E.R. trying to get things righted. As I came out of those many months with medical staff, I reflected on the new insight God had given me into the lives of those who live with illness day in and day out. The strength of mind must overcome the weakness of the body. One must face the reality that they, in and of themselves, are unable to make themselves well. We live in a fallen world.

If you are like the many, many people who have been subjected to the flu or some other illness this winter, maybe you should take the time to pray for those in your sphere who struggle with their health on a regular basis, or those who are house-bound (how crazy were you going being cooped up in your room for days on end???). A thoughtful card, call or visit can communicate so much.

I still seem to have plenty of health issues to keep me busy, but I am thankful to the God Who is my Healer. I am thankful that I am not relegated to my bed day in and day out, and I am thankful to a God who will take me to those dark and lonely places to remind me of His heart for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment