Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Kisses of Worship

I love to read, but I go in spurts. One month, I'll be devouring books and the next I am not interested. It's a strange relationship to be sure, but when I read, I am ALL in. I love books like the Lord of the Rings trilogy that have a fun fictitious quality, but also have a spiritual lesson that can be derived from so many of the scenes. Recently, I've been in a bit of a dry reading spell, but felt compelled to pick up a book I bought while we were in the states in January.

This book is called "Kisses from Katie". It's a autobiography of sorts from a 21 year old girl who lives in Uganda, adopted 13 girls and started her own ministry. Although I'm only a few chapters in, I can tell you that you cannot read this book without being moved.


This morning I was contemplating some things that Kyle was sharing in regards to prayer, and I decided I wanted to practice listening to the Lord (instead of just giving Him a list of needs). So, as we talked, I asked Him what He has for me, for Kyle, for us in this stage of our lives. You see, lately, I've been feeling like we're really good at living the life, we're in the Word, we're doing ministry, but I miss those heart-to-hearts the Lord and I used to have. So, there I sat and listened. Eventually I was moved to pick this book up. I was so moved that I want to share this excerpt of her journal with you:

"One Day~ October 20, 2007
It is pouring. It is freezing. The power has been off for days and the water lines are down. Yet I stand in the middle of twenty-five children praising and thanking the Lord. Our usual outside worship has been taken indoors due to the storm, so instead of praying together, the children are praying in their individual rooms. I am in the primary boys' room, which is home to twenty-five boys ages six to ten. I have never seen anyone so alive with love for their Maker. Some stand with their hands in the air. Others, like me, overwhelmed with awe, have fallen to their knees on the cold cement floor. The beautiful sound of twenty-six voices lifted in prayer drowns out the beating of the rain on the tin roof.  
God is so in this moment, I feel so full of His love that my heart threatens to burst. This is not something I can explain. This is not something words can capture. This feeling is bigger. The splendor of God in this room takes my breath away. We all pray out loud and our voices mix into one, all different words, but the same message. Thank you. Thank you. 
At first glance, it would be easy to feel sorry for these little boys. Their clothes are tattered, they sleep on old, dirty mattresses, they walk to school barefoot in the rain. They have no electricity, no running water, and it is raining so hard that the whole compound has become a muddy swamp. But I should not pity these children. In fact, I should envy them. At six years old, these children know what it is to be filled with the Holy Spirit. These children know the greatness, the wonder of our God. 
I've had people ask me why I think Africa is so impoverished, but these children are not poor. I, as a person who grew up wealthy, am. I put value in things. These children, having no things, put value in God. I put my trust in relationships, these children, having already see relationships fail, put their trust in the Lord. This nation is blessed beyond any place, any people. I have ever encountered. God has not forgotten them. In fact, I believe He has loved them just a little bit extra. 
I sit here freezing and wet in this pitch-black room as the rain beats on the roof, and God is so close I feel I can touch Him. My deepest prayer is that I could know the Lord as well as the first grader next to me. All my senses are full of His greatness. God's glory has fallen down into this place and is soaking us even deeper than the rain. I never ever want to be dry."
Oh to know Him like this.

2 comments:

  1. I am amazed and inspired, but am also envious and ashamed. I love my comfort-being warm and dry.Having enough to eat and decent clothes to wear. It is truly hard for me to imagine being able to so totally lose myself worshiping God while being cold and wet. But I want to be able to do that-to be so in love with God-focused on him-that my physical condition is not a consideration. I pray that I can grow to be able to do this.
    Thanks for sharing, Mel.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, thanks for your honesty. I think most of us in our "modern" world would agree with you and our love of comfort. Sometimes the "gifts" of our modern society are hindrances to the true reason we are here. May God give us insight into Who He is and who we are.

    ReplyDelete