Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Get Over Yourself

I don't usually care too much about Halloween, but today has been fun as I roamed the base and saw lots of people dressed up at their jobs. While I was at the hospital this morning, several employees were making the rounds in their costumes- just to pass smiles around. It was fun. I wonder what it is about dressing up that people think is fun?

Last week Kyle and I enjoyed a few days of pure relaxation in Croatia. It was a missionary retreat where they pay for everything except for your travel expenses. We slept the first day and then enjoyed foot massages and some time in the pool. One of the perks of this retreat is that they bring in Dr's, chiropractors, financial advisers, counselors, etc. Kyle and I enjoyed our time with the counselor where he encouraged us and assured us that there were SO many good things about our relationship. Pretty awesome words to hear from a counselor!

We knew we would hit the ground running when we made it home. What we weren't expecting was the quick arrival of winter! We both did our "I'm so happy it's snowing" dance and proceeded to dive into the regular errands that await you after vacation. On a side note, I saw my first real-life shooting star and it was AWESOME!

God is teaching me/us some pretty cool things as we are doing our Precept study on the book of Ephesians. My "epiphany" this week was in Ephesians 4:2 where it says, "with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,". Paul is talking about living in a manner worthy of the calling of Christ. We did word studies on each of the attributes in verse 2 and here is my literal interpretation of what it means: "Walk with an awareness of the weight of your calling. In ALL ways, have a sense of one's own littleness, being uninterested in self, slow to avenge wrongs, and bear with one another in love." In other words, Get over yourself! Isn't that cool? and a little convicting?

I hope you are taking time today to soak up the smiles and reasons to smile. May today be a reminder to look around and get over yourself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment