Sunday, May 31, 2009

Knowing the Shepherd's Voice

I have been staying with a friend here in Germany, until I find an apt. Her landlord, who lives beyond the small pasture in her backyard, has sheep and a rooster. Growing up in the city, it's been quite funny to me to glance out the window and see these furry sheep (although they recently met the shears).
Well, my friend, Heather, told me that they always bleat more when the shepherd enters their pasture to feed them. So, I have listened and watched, and sure enough, around 5:30pm you will hear an uproar in the field.
A couple of days ago, I was cleaning the house in the middle of the afternoon and there was crazy "BAAAAAA, BAAAAAA, BAAAA" in the backyard. Knowing that it was not feeding time, I looked out the window to see what was going on. The shepherd had entered the pasture and was working on a small shed. I had to smile.
These sheep have brought to mind many Biblical pictures for me. Everytime I go outside, I say, "Hi, little sheepies!" They usually just look up at me, like, "Who are you talking to?" and then continue to eat their tasty grass. They never "Baaaaa" for me! That is because they know their Shepherd and his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment