Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Have I Learned my Lesson Yet?

Yesterday was just one of those days. It started out with a young lab technician who couldn't find a vein in my arm deciding to take eight vials of blood out of my hand. It started out ok, but after throwing up and being close to passing out, she decided she could make the five vials she had pulled work just fine. Thus began a day of mishaps...internet issues, ridiculously slow traffic while trying to get to a meeting on time, people not showing up for said meeting, misunderstandings, and car issues. Oh what a day! I think the only thing that made it better was connecting with my husband after work and finding out his day was just as bad. So, Kyle and I hunkered down for the night and had breakfast for dinner...one of my favorites...and hoped nothing else could penetrate our safe bunker for the night.

A lot of my time lately has been focused on what God has been teaching me these past few months, which oddly enough has taken me to a review of my last seven years in Germany. During our Bible study in Jeremiah these last ten months, one of the things that appears over and over is  who Israel/Judah are trusting in. They trust in their land, the temple, their position as "God's chosen people", false gods, and even themselves. This led me to the obvious question, "What am I trusting in- instead of God?"

There are three things that always stress me out (now four, since coming to Germany): car, computer, finances and health. Those four things became quite clear to me as I began to see a pattern emerge during my time here in Germany. Again and again (another repeating theme in Jeremiah) issues with the car, computer, finances and health would pop up. I began to realize that these are four things that I trust in- instead of God. Granted there are always varying degrees of trust, and I have learned my lesson from time to time...but as you can see from my first paragraph about my bad day...those lessons still continue to resurface. Some days are just bad days...but others are a reminder that I am trusting in myself and not God.

So, as God and I grapple with my trust issues...let me pose the question to you, "What are you trusting in instead of God?" If you think about the last several years or months, do you see a pattern where you are grasping for control of your life instead of handing over the reigns to your Creator? The Bible talks about trust quite a bit, but my favorite verses to look at are the Psalms. Here are a few verses to whet your appetite:


And those who know Your name will put their trust in You, For You, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You.
But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD, I say, "You are my God."
How blessed is the man who has made the LORD his trust, And has not turned to the proud, nor to those who lapse into falsehood.
Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah.

There are Oh so many more! I hope you will take the time to talk to the Lord about where you are placing your trust. <3 h2="">

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:02 AM

    I love it Mel! And I hear you about learning to trust God for certain things. There are certain things I continually struggle to trust Him with :). Thanks for this post!!

    ReplyDelete