Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Mouth Full

Monday was a day that I had been looking forward to for quite a while- the day my braces would be removed! I have been a good patient- no chewing gum for over three years and today was my day of freedom. As I sat in the chair while the orthodontist literally took a pair of pliers and just yanked brackets off my teeth, I thought to myself- why did I never anticipate the pain that would go with this process? Not only did they yank, pull, and scrape they sandblasted my teeth...seriously! After they went through the process of scraping cement off and polishing my teeth, the assistant put a piece of paper towel over my face. She explained that the paper towel had a little hole in the middle where they would be applying what would feel like a fresh day at the beach. I'm sure something is lost in the translation from German to English, but I think what she meant to say was "Your mouth will feel like you just had the ocean breeze blow a bucket of sand into your mouth. Oh, and could you hold your mouth open wide and not gag while it does that? Thanks." All in all, even despite the sand taste that lingered for a couple of days, I am regaining familiarity with what it feels like to have smooth teeth again...it's fantastic!

Thanks to the many of you who listened to my teeth woes and who sympathized with my plight. Once again, life is always better after the fact. So, the next time you see me, we should share a piece of chewing gum or maybe even get real crazy and have a carmel apple! :)

1 comment:

  1. That re-translation was quite literally, awesome. Glad they're off and you are getting back to "normal" life! Do you just run your tongue over and over your teeth? I did! For weeks! ;) However, I don't remember any pain with the process of the braces coming off. A little discomfort while the cement came off, but mostly I remember the relief of the brackets coming off and them pulling that wire out, and it NOT COMING BACK! :)

    ReplyDelete