Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bible Lessons from my Thyroid

The Dr. called this morning, "Your hypothyroidism has gotten significantly worse. We'll be changing your dosage significantly." The last 5 (almost 6 years) have been filled with trips to the Dr., blood draws, trying and changing different medications and many, many mood swings. The thyroid is like a thermostat for the body, controlling temperature, metabolism, hormones and many other delicate systems. It is a tiny piece of the body that has so much power over the way the rest of the body performs.

There are days that I feel wonderful and there are days where I really dislike myself and my body. A thyroid disorder can begin to make you wonder who you really are. What are the hormones changing and what is the real me? It can become really confusing. This is one of the reasons I enjoy journaling. I can look back over the past months or years and see a pattern that helps me realize "this funk should end soon" or "I'm probably just emotional since they changed my medications"... Still, it is very difficult to "take every thought captive" as II Corinthians tells us to do.

Having chronic health issues is not something I would desire for anyone. It is a tough, everyday battle that is not only physically, but also mentally exhausting. It is a daily reminder that your life is not your own and while you can make choices to help or harm your body- you cannot fix your body. We live in a broken and fallen world- which includes our bodies. Jesus is the only True Healer and this body reminds me that I must lean on Him DAILY. "For we are not our own, but we are bought with a price. Therefore, honor God with your body." - I Corinthians 6:20

No comments:

Post a Comment