Sunday, February 15, 2009

Money=Fear? Another lesson on faith

Last week I was sharing about Cadence with a Sunday School class in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It was the first time in quite a while where I had the full hour to share what God is doing in the lives of women in Germany. I was a little nervous, as I think anyone speaking in front of people should be, but as the stories began to flow about the women I know in Germany and how God has proven Himself faithful...I sensed my heart begin to calm.

As a missionary of a faith-based organization, I am required to raise my own support to sustain ministry and life in Germany. There have been many challenges, often related to finances, but God has been incredibly faithful. Stories of amazing provision at just the right moment; stories that remind me that it is really NOT about the money, but whether or not I serve a faithful God.

I have a return ticket to head back to Germany on April 28th. I also have around $2500 of additional monthly support that must be raised in order for me to return on that plane. As I listen to the radio, the TV, people at the supermarket, even my pastor talk about the economic crisis and how we must all tighten our belts for the current times- my heart begins to fill with fear. Where in the world will this money come from? I am fortunate enough to have my current supporters stay with me- let alone additional supporters to join me. Such was the state of my heart and mind as I tried to focus on the sermon this Sunday morning.

We have been studying the book of Hebrews and talking about faith. The sermons have been incredibly applicable to this stage of my life. As we started reading Chapter 13, I sensed God saying, "Melissa, this is for you. Take heart."

13: 5-6, Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' So we can confidently say, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?'

Fear is often associated with money, especially these days. However, God presence is always with us and He is the One who has given us everything we have and everything we need.

13:20-22, "Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

I have NO idea how God is going to provide the finances needed for me to return to Germany, but I trust that His plan is perfect and that He will be with me through it all, because His Word says so.

No comments:

Post a Comment