Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Well, I reckon...

I admit it. Sometimes my mind starts to wonder during a sermon, but this time it was spiritual in nature- I promise. In the sermon he asked a question, “What can we control?” I thought his answer was kind of lame, so, I started my own list…I can control what I think. And thus began my bunny trail on “thinking”.

One of my favorite verses is Philippians 4:8,
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

This verse has been the subject of many lessons and sermons in the past, but it never occurred to me that I am commanded to THINK. Seriously, we are told to use the brains that God gave us- not just take everything in and never mentally digest it.

The word “think” has many different Greek variations, but if we look specifically at Philippians 4:8, “think” is the Greek word “logizomai” which Vines Dictionary defines as “make those things the subjects of your thoughtful consideration” or “carefully reflect on them”. We are called to consider and reflect on truth, honor, justice, purity, loveliness, commendation, excellence and praise. How often do I do that? Well, I usually only consider those things when I’ve been lied to, disrespected, abused, or seriously ticked off at someone.


Well, today, instead of turning your brain off in front of a screen somewhere, take a few moments to thoughtfully consider and reflect on Philippians 4:8. It will be good for your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment