Friday, September 05, 2014

To Move or Not to Move- That is the Question

"At the command of the Lord the people of Israel set out, and at the command of the Lord they camped. As long as the cloud rested over the tabernacle, they remained in camp....Whether it was two days, or a month, or a longer time, that the cloud continued over the tabernacle, abiding there, the people of Israel remained in camp and did not set out, but when it lifted they set out."
-Numbers 9:18&22

Moving is not for the weak-of-heart! Even military moves where someone else comes to load up your things for you requires a lot of long hours. As I read Numbers 9 this morning, my heart went out to the Israelites. I've often been very hard on them, but this last year has definitely taught me that I am a lot more like them than I care to admit. Can you imagine every couple of days having to pack up your whole tent and all of your belongings and get back to walking? I guess it's one way to keep those extra feast-pounds off during the holidays, but how tiring that would be to me.

Currently, we live in a one-room (well two, if you count the bathroom) hotel room. We've unpacked as best you can in a hotel, but I'm definitely looking forward to our move to our new rental! I'm looking forward to cooking more healthy food and to listening to the birds on our back porch. I'm not really looking forward to sleeping on an air mattress, but I guess sacrifices have to be made (I wonder if the Israelites just slept on the ground?). Setting up a home is so satisfying. Living amidst a move is so- not.

The other day I was reading a blog post about the benefits of being bored. Truthfully, I was expecting an article about the health benefits and thought, "Wouldn't this be a lovely nugget to pull out when I'm feeling particularly lazy?". Instead, it was an article about how God used people in the Bible who were (probably) bored. Although I realize that God has the Israelites tromping through the desert because of their lack of obedience, I sympathize with them. I'm thankful that the military only has us move every couple of years (hopefully). I can't imagine if we had to pack up and move every couple of days...especially through the desert! Sheesh!

"At the command of the Lord the people set out and at the command of the Lord they camped." 
Lord, once again may I use your example of the Israelites to settle my heart and to know that I will stay or move at Your command. Whether it be across an ocean or across a room, please give me a heart to listen to Your commands. Thank you for being with me everywhere I go and for using it all to make me more like You. Please help me to trust You despite my frightened heart. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment