Monday, December 02, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013


The week before had been the worst yet, but often it is those seemingly impossible moments that make the unexpected sweet moments, even sweeter.

Before Kyle had even deployed, we knew that there was a chaplain and his wife who were stationed at the same base. We were thankful that Kyle would at least know a friendly face as he embarked on his deployment. As the days began to get closer to his departure, one of our friends suggested that I go stay with this family and visit Kyle. After they delightfully agreed to be my host, we were excited for this plan that had potential to make this deployment not seem like the end of life, as we knew it. Kyle left and life was hard, but we were able to use our Apple® hardware to stay in brief contact usually twice a day. We were “over the moon” when we actually got to “see each other’s faces” once a week during his day off. While this was not the way we envisioned spending half of our last year in Germany, it felt “manageable”. We were both much more heavily steeped in the Word and learning to rely more heavily on God and not each other (or ourselves).

The week before my visit was when everything just seemed to implode around us. Without going into details, we both were in very difficult situations, some personal and some with work. Our time of brief connection always seemed to overlap a meeting or Kyle’s sleep time (as he works overnights). I began to feel like I was drowning and how did this happen so fast? The night before I was hopping on a plane in hopes of visiting my husband who had been gone for the last six weeks, I began to think, “I may get down there and not even get to see him.” This was a real possibility. He had learned that his career field was not going to receive Thanksgiving or Christmas off. They were going to be regular workdays. That just seemed to suck the life out of Kyle, and in turn- me.
After several plane rides, I arrived in my first experience with a Middle Eastern country. There are many things I could tell you about that, but suffice it to say, I was very thankful to have such wonderful and knowledgeable hosts! When we arrived at their villa, I let Kyle know that I arrived. He immediately responded that they had been given the day of Thanksgiving off, but he was not allowed to leave base (because that requires paperwork that has been submitted and signed at least 72 hours in advance). What a bummer that I was finally here, so close, and I would still be celebrating Thanksgiving without him. However, we both praised the Lord that he had been given the day off! We enjoyed an hour of so of just chatting, since we had the freedom to do so. It was so fun, until he received a knock at his door. A coworker delivered an ominous email from his Chief that he was to report to his Chief’s office first thing in the morning. The mood was gone as Kyle began to rehearse the possibilities of this unexpected meeting. We prayed together and he agreed to text me the results in the morning.
Another time zone, multiple flights, an emotional week and staying up late talking to my husband made it a difficult morning to get out of bed. After my morning routine, I went to check my messages and I had received nothing. I wasn’t sure if I should be concerned or excited. Either way, I knew I would talk to him eventually…maybe he was still at work. People began to arrive to prepare the last minute details of our Thanksgiving feast, one of who was a friend from Ramstein. It was fun to exchange hugs and a familiarity that made it feel like I had family there for Thanksgiving. We chatted and waited for others to arrive. As the Chaplain walked in the door, I was floored to see Kyle right behind him. I didn’t know whether to squeal, run, cry or squeeze him ‘til there was nothing left. I opted for a little of each.
It will be a Thanksgiving to remember. As we sat around the table with people from all over the US and Sri Lanka, I thought about their families at home wishing they were there with them, and how incredibly thankful I was to be sitting there next to my deployed husband. He has gone back to work tonight, and I miss him already. As my dear, sweet, Kyle said, “No one can take away these precious hours we have had.” I don’t know if I will get to visit with him again during my time here, but I can’t help but be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment